Energy Assessment

Residential Properties

Current legislation prohibits properties from being rented out to tenants that have an EPC rating of ‘F’ or ‘G’. If the property you’re renting falls into this category, your landlord might be breaking the law and will be required to make urgent energy efficiency improvements.

If your property has an energy rating E or above: no action required under current legislation.

If your property has no EPC: you are urgently required to get a certificate. Contact us today for further advice and a quotation.

If your property has an Energy Efficient rating F or G: this legislation applies, and you MUST act.

Whilst there is a legal basis for improving low performing homes, both the landlord and the tenant can experience many advantages by implementing changes such as; 

• Upgrading your EPC rating can be cheaper than you think. You may be able to upgrade the property to an ‘E’ or better with low-cost measures such as draught-proofing and small amounts of insulation.

• The possibility of increasing the value of your rental property if you decide to sell.

• The property can become more competitive on the rental market due to the increased comfort for tenants. 

• The higher the energy efficiency rating of a property typically means the cheaper the energy bills are for tenants. This can help tenants become more likely to be able to pay their rent on time because they are spending less on energy bills.

• Reduced energy bills and increased comfort can result in fewer complaints from tenants that need to be resolved.

• Improving properties can mitigate levels of damp and condensation forming which will increase the health benefits for the tenant. 

• Reducing the carbon footprint of the property will help contribute to a greener and healthier society. 


Current regulations prohibit landlords from letting properties with an EPC rating below of F or G. 

However, in certain circumstances a landlord can apply for an exemption. An exemption will last for 5 years and after this time the landlord would need to reassess their options and re-register an exemption if applicable. 

All exemptions are recorded on the Private Rented Sector Exemptions Register. To exempt a property landlords should apply to register this as soon as possible to remain compliant.


Send Us a Message

Looking for top-quality surveying services or energy assessment? Look no further than Fairwood Solutions! Our experienced team use the latest technology and techniques to provide accurate and reliable results. Whether you need a Building Survey or energy assessment, we've got you covered. So why wait? Contact us today and see how Fairwood Solutions can help with your all your property needs!